Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Book Review - Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Honestly, I expected much more from this book than what it delivered. Kind of like a supreme cheese pizza with loads of toppings... when what I got was some cold, stale cheesy bread sticks.
I have my doubts about the ability of two different writers to write one book together and have it be cohesive. Not that I could pick out which parts were written by whom, but most of the time I found myself skimming through large sections of narrator exposition to get to the action.
When all was said and done, there wasn't much action. and the climactic battle was a little disappointing.
Most times, though, I got distracted by all of the filter words and the general poor editing in this book. Forget about the fact that Lena is largely unlikable for me as a MC and Ethan is a girl in a boy's body. What high school boy would know the names of the two town dress shops, styles and terms for all of that dress junk, or be so in touch with his feelings? Sorry, ladies, not believable for a moment.
In the end, this book has a great title and that's about as far as the "great" goes. Talk about great expectations... and disappointing ends.
I probably won't read the other books in this series, because I frankly don't care what happens to Lena and Ethan. I'm a little curious about the bad guys, but not enough to keep reading. Oh well.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment